Wednesday, July 5, 2017

"I'm Glad I Did" by: Cynthia Weil

Hi!

Since I have summer vacation right now, I have a lot of time on my hands to do things I like to do like create artwork and read books. I recently read a book that I initially thought would be okay, but actually turned out to be really great. Here's my review of it:

Source
Have you ever picked up a book thinking you'd give it a try, and ended up reading the entire book in one sitting? That will probably happen to you for I'm Glad I Did by: Cynthia Weil. It's just that good. Although this book is historical fiction, the majority of it is realistic fiction, so you'll probably be able to connect to it better and find the story very engaging like I did!

Meet JJ Green, a sixteen year old girl who has just graduated from high school. Yep, she's smart. She's from a family of lawyers, and her parents expect her to become a lawyer too. However, she wants to get into the music industry, and live her dream of being a songwriter. Her parents don't approve of this, because they think the music industry is meant for lowlifes, and believe JJ is too smart and shouldn't degrade herself to that kind of career.

When JJ defies her parents' wishes by getting a summer internship at the great Brill Building, she starts to appreciate her choice of not staying low, but actually rising up to chase her dreams. Shortly after, she and songwriter Luke Silvers co-write a song that the extraordinary Dulcie Brown agrees to sing. Dulcie Brown isn't as renowned as she used to be, but JJ is determined that the single will help bring her up again.

Through a series of events (including a person falling out a window), JJ's life is nearly shattered. When she investigates deeper, she learns that there are lots of secrets regarding some of the people she has encountered through her internship so far. JJ is determined to find out everything before it's too late.

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment